Sunday, July 21, 2013

Ray and The "Jelly Beans"

Tonight Tue 16th July I was on my own with John as Ciaran was off on holidays but fair play he got out himself as well today…see his blog here… http://fatdadrun.blogspot.ie/2013/07/in-kingdom-of-kerry.html

Meet John in the harriers for 6:30 and we were on the road for 6:40…as usual has a lot of water in me before the run…we were going out the Mucklagh bypass tonight and then back in via Mucklagh. The first 2 miles were the toughest and this is because the legs were so tired from the run we did on Sunday. We were running at a pace of 10:15 per mile which wasn’t too bad...the hill going up the Mucklagh bypass towards the blue ball is about 1.5 Mile and you’d notice the incline when running but I knew when we got to the top of it we’d be on our way home so I just kept going….on the turn for home the legs were loosened out at this stage and I wasn’t feeling too bad…the run into Mucklagh was fine and John’s refilled the water bottles from the graveyard and the holy water gave us the boost going up the hill…we then turned into Charleville at Barnes Gate and came out the main gates and back to the harriers….we finished up with half a lap of the tarmacadam track to bring us up to 80 mins with an average pace of 9:59 per mile…another good nights run.

Wed 17th July..Leona is one of the girls in work that is doing the half marathon and I’ve been onto her for the last few weeks to go out on a run….we eventually got to go out at lunch time…we left work at 1 and we headed towards Charleville…neither of us had a watch to tell us distance/pace etc so I don’t know what pace we went out at…when we got into Charleville we headed towards the castle gates(a route I knew) and then we swung a left through the forest…when we got out the far side I thought the road we were on was going to bring us out Barnes Gates(Charleville bypass roundabout) but we ended up going up towards the farm and then we came back and went another way and got lost…I was telling Leona I was used to these routes as I was running them a lot during training and then I get lost in the grounds of Charleville…god only know what she was thinking …anyway eventually we got back on track and found our way out of the forest….during the run we had to make a stop as we were going too fast compared to what Leona was running at…it was the first time we’d run together so I didn’t know what pace we should be running at but anyway after a quick stop we got back and we did a 40 minute run and we were both happy with this…I’d find out myself tomorrow night the problem with going out to fast..

Thursday 18th July….Heading up to harriers for 6:30 and John said that we were going to be joined by Ray Murray for the run.…we started off with a 2 Mile run around Charleville …the weather was warm as it has been all week and we ran up to the castle gates and then towards the farm house and then back to the big tree via the outer perimeter of the big field…I definitely noticed we were going quicker than normal and when we got back after the 2 mile I was out on my feet…I asked John what pace we had run at and he told me 9:20…the previous day when I was running with Leona we were going at a quicker pace than she was used to running at we had to stop for a shot break…today after running the 2 mile at 9:20 pace and I knew what she was feeling the previous day…I needed a break and I finished off nearly a litre of water at the big tree….then John said we’d get going again to Mucklagh graveyard via Charleville…this wasn’t as hard as the previous 2 Mile but when we got to Mucklagh graveyard we needed to stock up on water again…John has a water belt that holds 2 water bottles and he bring this for Ciaran and myself each time we’re been out over the last few weeks and tonight was no different...I drank both of John’s bottles and 2 of Ray’s bottles as well...I think John brought Ray tonight just to carry extra water for me…anyway filled up at the cemetery and headed back the same route…on the way back Ray gave me a few “Jelly Babies” as he called them…small little different coloured beans…he says sugar in them will give you a lift…John didn’t have any so I had his as well…with some of the world elite athletics getting into trouble over the last week I was thinking should I have asked more about what was in these “Jelly Babies” but Ray seemed like a nice guy so I’m going to trust him…hope I don’t get disqualified from the half marathon for eating these little coloured beans.

Going back was a lot easier and I think this is because mentally you feel you are on your way home and every step you take you are closer to home OR maybe it was the “Jelly Beans”…drank 4 more bottles on the way home (2 from John and 2 from Ray) and we got back to the harriers with 8 Miles completed....this was one of the toughest run’s I had done and I’m putting it down to a few factors: the run the previous day had me tired (I seem to do better when I have a day’s rest between runs) and I was working in the sun all day today that made me tired as well but I think the main reason was that we had gone out to hard at 9:20 a mile...in my head I was thinking I’d like to run the half marathon in under 2 hours but I think it will be around the 2 hour 10 Minutes mark….I’d have to run the full half marathon in about 9:20 per mile to do it in under 2 hours but I don’t think I’ll be able for this..…anyway time will tell….just delighted to be able to run 8-10 Miles now without stopping even though tonight I stopped twice!!

Tonight was my last run with John for 2 weeks as I’m away on holidays but I’ll keep you posted on my progress…Ciaran had a program to stick to that John gave him while he was on holidays and he stuck to it and I plan to do the same...I have to do 2 x 80 min runs and 1 x 90-100 minute run each week….I’m doing about a mile ever 10 minutes so this is about 2 x 8 miles and 1 x 10 mile runs each week..…Ciaran over the last week on his holidays was out running the roads with his brother Hugo and I will be out running the roads with a brother in law of mine David Spain…Until later…keep running….only 6 more weeks to go......

No comments:

Post a Comment