Monday, August 26, 2013

To gel, or not to gel: that is the question

…after run on previous Sat morning with the girls I decided to go out that evening to watch some music at Hugh Lynches Canal Quarter Festival and took it easy. Sunday was a different story and I decided I’d have a good night out as I felt it was well deserved after all the hard work I was putting in…had a great night at the Wolfe Tones in Lynches after enjoying a few drinks in the tap before hand….on the way home was photographed in super mac’s enjoying a burger and chips (see pic below...thanks to David "Sonny" Kavanagh for providing evidence of my healthy eating)...can't go anywhere now without getting caught...John as his spies everywhere..

 
Tuesday 20th August : Started off the day up in Midlands 103 on Midlands Today with Will Faulkner. Michelle Mullaney (Club PRO), Ciaran and myself were up having a chat about how we were getting on and the craic was good in the studio...here is a link to it if you'd like to listen to it.. http://www.midlands103.com/custom/public/files/tullamore-harriers-2.mp3 That evening we arrived up to the harriers for a short run...at least this is what we were told the previous Thursday night...You think I’d know the story at this stage but John started the conversation with a friendly "How was the weekend?" and I started about the run on Sat and then he said..."How was the Wolfe Tones?"..."Great" said I and went on to tell him about it..."you wouldn't even say hello" he said...turns out John was at the gig as well but I didn't see him...there was a huge crowd at it and I didn't spot him...then to round off this part of the conversation, Lynchie puts his tuppence worth in...."Did you enjoy the food in supermacs afterwards".....saw the pic of you on facebook..."Really enjoyed them" I say and then John said we'd get going...as we started John said we'll do 10 miles tonight as it'll be good for us and with that we're off...
We were doing the long Ross run tonight, out by the Tullamore Golf Club and then back via Mugklagh bypass...tonight was the first time since I started the 10 week training for the half marathon that I had a stitch by the finger board...said nothing for a while as I thought it might go away but a mile on I still had it...don't know was it because of my enjoyable Sunday night or was it just one of those things but I was thinking to myself that I hope I don't get this on the day of the half marathon...anyway mentioned it to John and he gave me a few tips to get rid of it and after a while the stitch was gone...I was in with Jody O’Reilly in the new running shop in Tullamore the previous week he asked my if I had ever tried the Energy Gels...I said I hadn't and he gave me a Cola one to try out...here is some info on why you might use Gels from the  Kinetica’s website..

Why: Kinetica’s Hydrating energy gels are designed to help improve and replenish your vital energy and hydration levels while on the go.

When : Replenish energy quickly by taking 1 gel every 30-40 minutes during training and competition for optimal results.

I had the gel with me the previous Saturday but didn't take it during my 2 hours run as I said I'd run it by John to get his thoughts...I have never seen John taking any Gels in the 9 weeks we were with him but he said they are fine to take and some people find them very good...he also said that they don't agree with some people and that I'd want to try it tonight and not just on the day of the race...after about 5 miles I took the gel and offered some to John and Ciaran but both said they were ok so I took the full amount myself...then when I had it all gone John gave me loads of information why there is so many Portaloo's at the start of races and what to do in a race if your stomach and bowels start to play up...This gave me great confidence as I was 5 miles from home and I was picturing myself in a ditch with the 2 lads laughing at me...Anyway everything went well for the remainder of the run in all departments...I wasn't having a great run up until about 6 miles but felts good for the remaining 4 miles...don't know was this because of the gel or it was just that I was loosed up at this stage but will definitely use the gels again at 40 mins and 80 mins during the half marathon.
Thursday 22nd August...here is what we did tonight...this is excerpt from Ciaran's blog http://fatdadrun.blogspot.ie/2013/08/the-last-tough-one.html 
"We ran 3 x 2 miles tonight in the grounds of Charleville Castle. The fist one was probably too quick (19:31), the next one too slow(20:34), and the last one, like the bowl of porridge Goldilocks ate, was just right(19.50). Ray has finally found his Garmin watch, and once he's able to use it properly, it might be some benefit to him. He did manage to get it to measure our overall distance though, and he recons we ran 8.2 miles including the run down to the Castle and back."
I got a Garmin watch about 3 years ago for Christmas and never used it and I spent the last 3 weeks going through every part of the house looking for it...I found it last night and had it with me tonight and the lads enjoyed me trying to figure out how to use it...John would have said we'd run 7 miles tonight but now since I have my watch I clocked it at 8.2 miles...the difference between my watch and John's is that mine starts when I start running...John's starts when we arrive at Charleville...on the way back I was telling the lads the distance I had on my watch and John asked did I start it when I left home....happy again with the run tonight and spent most of the run with Mary Daly. Mary joined us tonight while we were in Charleville as she was doing a Triathlon in Killarney on Sunday and was taking it easy...enjoyed the chat and I was saying to Mary that I heard she was going to be giving us a pep talk before the half marathon on the Thursday....Mary wasn't aware of this but Ciaran and myself said we were looking forward to it and that everyone in the club was as well. It will be a great occasion and a huge crowd is expected to attend.....Mary hasn't fully decided on what she hopes to cover on the night but you don't want to miss it...more details in next weeks blog..

That is all for now...Cloghan 10K on Sunday...Not long to half marathon now :)

No comments:

Post a Comment